Are you the sterile compounding supervisor for your pharmacy? If so, NAPRA requires that your compounding competency is assessed by a third-party evaluator. The frequency of the assessment is as follows:
- at least once a year in the workplace for preparations with low or medium risk level;
- at least twice a year in the workplace for preparations with high risk level.
- The sterile compounding supervisor must have successfully completed training (i.e., courses) in the compounding of sterile preparations, maintained up-to-date knowledge and demonstrated the required competencies.
- The sterile compounding supervisor must also have the competency required to manage a safe, high-quality sterile-preparation compounding area.
- The sterile compounding supervisor must be evaluated for knowledge and abilities, at the same frequency as compounding personnel, by a third party (an evaluator with expertise in sterile- preparation compounding, at arm’s length from the facility/pharmacy and free of any real or perceived conflict with the individual being evaluated).
The third-party evaluator (either a pharmacist or pharmacy technician) must meet the following criteria:
- the third party must be a pharmacist or pharmacy technician with expertise in compounding sterile preparations;
- the third party must be at arm’s length from the pharmacy or facility (independence);
- the third party must be free of any real or perceived conflict of interest with the individual beingevaluated;
- the sterile compounding supervisor must ensure that the third-party evaluator is qualified to fulfill the mandate;
- the third-party evaluator must have training that covers the compounding of sterile preparations and certification that his or her competencies in this area are being maintained and developed;
- the third-party evaluator’s annual competency assessment must include the same elements as those of a competency assessment program for compounding personnel